There are two ways to teach a new concept: 1) I stand in front of the room and show you through direct instruction, or 2) I let you explore the concept, tinker, fail, and learn. I prefer the second.
Over the course of this week we will be engaging in an exercise in collaborative instruction. And, we will be reviewing the WordPress dashboard for the web-based application and for the iPad. Each group will pick a section, familiarize themselves with that section, and then present a short lesson with a script that will outline how to use their respective sections. Here are some of the sections we will cover:
- Writing a Post and adding a page
- Organizing Past Posts with categories or Tags
- Adding Photos and Videos
- Adding a Widget
- Changing the look and appearance
- Adding a Blog roll or Favorite link list
- Writing a Post on the iPad
- Adding Media from the iPad
- Moderating Comments
- Privacy Settings
What’s expected of each group…
- Sign up for a WordPress account using your personal email. Your username should be some combination of your first and last name.
- Learn the section that you have been assigned to. Understand the application from basic functions to more advanced functions.
- A thorough overview of your section in the form of a script that includes screenshots (Example). Use Jing for screenshots and post your photos and script on a google doc. Make sure to share the goole doc with all members of your group and with me.
- A brief presentation of your section. The presentation should cover all of the features of your section.
We will present the sections on Friday.